Wedding planning can be stressful and frustrating at
times. Innumerable decisions have to be made like what
flavor should the cake have, who all are to be invited,
what live band to hire or how to choose the menu for
food. These are just a few amongst the many decisions
to be made. These same decisions apply for the wedding
reception celebrations. A to-do-list will help you avoid
the pre wedding stress. No one wants their reception
party ruined because it wasn’t planned out right.
Right kind of planning is the key to a successful reception
Wedding reception is the absolute high point of the
nuptials. It’s a time to relax, eat, dance, drink
and be merry. A to-do-list will help you save time and
can help avoid last minute confusions. There are so
many things that are forgotten in the last minute whirlwind
of confusion. A to-do-list can help you organize and
plan your reception better.
For any wedding reception, begin by noting down a timetable
of events. Knowing when you want everything to happen
will make sure everything will go like clockwork. Even
if you don’t intend to include traditions into
your ceremony, there are things that should be pre-decided.
For instance, you should notify your caterer as to when
food should be served and check with the musicians or
the live bands. Make sure they are ready and everything
is in place. Listen to their music. In case you’re
not too happy with what your hearing, feel free to ask
around for recommendations. Apart from the catering
and music, you should also include florists on your
A year before the reception
There’s plenty of time to go. Plan out a whole
list of things to do in a leisurely fashion. There’s
still plenty of time to make changes.
- Start thinking about a suitable venue for the reception
and decide on the style of the reception.
- Discuss the cost of the reception with both sets
- Book the reception venue well in advance, especially
if the wedding is in the summer.
- Start compiling a list of guests.
- Plan out the menu and drink list and decide whether
you want to hire catering services.
- Consider transport from the wedding venue to the
- Plan out the gift list.
A few months to go
- Select the bride and groom’s party attire.
- Select the photographer.
- Select the music for the reception.
- Discuss floral arrangements for the reception venue.
- Book musicians and live bands for the wedding reception.
A month before the due date
- Plan the reception hairstyle.
- Ensure that all accessories are in place.
- Notify caterers about the final head count.
- Check the situation at the reception venue and
make sure everything is in place.
- Agree with the reception authorities about table
arrangements and centerpieces.
- Arrange for transportation of the gifts.
A few days before the reception
This is when the stress levels reach their peak. Last
minute wedding jitters stand in the way of rational
thinking. There is still time to make last minute changes.
- Go through the whole ceremony and program.
- Rest and relax.
A comprehensive checklist will go a long way in avoiding
last minute confusions and stress. You could also assign
specific tasks to your family and close friends so that
you can truly enjoy your special day.